Wednesday, December 5, 2007

This just in: 60% of adults are misinformed!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/839/839797p1.html
In case you're too lazy to click the link, 60% of adults believe that games should be regulated. 51% believe that media in general should be regulated. In addition, 54% of adults believe that violent media=violent child.
What does this prove?
Well, for one, at least 19% of adults are hypocrites who don't measure things equally. Also, 54% of adults are misinformed. The evidence that violent media=violent child just isn't there. You can say 'it's common sense' all you want, but the simple fact is that it isn't true. Your average teenager, and younger child, too, can separate fantasy and reality. The ones that can't are what I like to call "Not functioning at full mental capacity" and it happens in adults, too.
Then there's the problems with the study itself: It only polled 1,147 people. Seems adequate, but it really isn't enough to measure public opinion. I find it more than likely that it's, if nothing else, a biased sample, although I can't provide evidence to back it up, the things we know and logic can lead to that reasoning.
(On a side note, does anyone know anybody who actually participated in one of these surveys? I don't think I do.)
The point? Not 'let's let kids have violent content.' No, the point is 'let's let the parents decide for whether or not their children are able to handle this stuff.'
Plus, government regulation of all media (music, movies, books, games) would mean that I couldn't listen to American Idiot, one of the best albums ever, and it could quite likely put age blocks on books like So Long and Thanks For All the Fish. I just think that it wouldn't be right.
For reference, I don't own any M-rated games, and haven't seen any R-rated movies that weren't comedies. I also only have one CD with a parental warning (and several that might have had one if it had existed when they were released). This, however, is a personal choice made by me. I just don't see the point in overt violence and gratuitous cursing.

On a side note, I've got a video lined up for this week. I won't let on much, but I will tell you that it was shown in schools and shows that the 50s (or maybe 40s or 60s, I forget the date) were one messed up time period, if taken as an accurate chronicle of the times.

----------------
Now playing: Foo Fighters - The Pretender
via FoxyTunes

No comments: