Thursday, December 13, 2007

Debate

So, yesterday I had a debate. There were three rounds. Me and my partner (we were doing Public Forum Debate, a form of debating in which you have two speakers and current events topics are addressed.) lost the first one by three points, the second by two, and we didn't debate the third time. The topic was "Would we be justified to pursue military options against Iran?" The first time, we said no (which I would agree with in real life, but that's not the point) and the second time we had to argue for yes. I was pretty sure we lost the first time, and I was right, but bear in mind that this is only our first year.
The second time, though, we really should have won. The second speaker for the other team (I'm the second speaker on my team), during the crossfire, which is where both sides ask each other questions (There are three: One with the first speakers, one with the second speakers, and one with everybody), spent the entire time ranting on and not really addressing anything I said. The stupidity here? Our incompetent judge only docked him one point, and then docked me a point for some reason even though I did about as good as you can expect when you've got somebody twice your size ranting on uncontrollably. Their entire debate, quite frankly, was misinterpreting our arguments and making claims that they have no right to make. In fairness, though, we really should have called them on that and we didn't. Oh well, there's always next time.

No comments: