Thursday, December 13, 2007

This is ridiculous...

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/story.html?id=165016
Now, I understand that this is an opinion piece, but I also understand that I have to right to respond to it with my opinions, which is what I'm doing here. I've put my responses, by paragraph, below. Read a paragraph of the article and then a paragraph of what I say until you reach the end.

Already, I can tell that this is going to be ridiculous and misinformed.

I can't wait for him to go and yak about how they ARE intrinsically evil. Get your hard hats on, we're entering a falling unfounded opinion zone.

So you're just going to spend the whole article telling us that video games are evil and that you should be taken as an expert on the subject? I've heard of that tactic. I call it, the 'no spin zone.'

Pac-Man is sophisticated? No, I get what he's saying, but that's still ridiculous. Anyway, what I'm getting is that he's glorifying his mother's parenting tactics, which would appear to boil down to not instilling a sense of self worth, claiming that only stupid people get bored (Quite untrue. Nobody who knows me would say I'm an unintelligent person, but I'm often bored during the summer. It's difficult not being amused by bad media, let me tell you, especially when all the stories you came up with as a child seem incredibly stupid now\.) Also, someone show me how being entranced by a story someone wrote in a book is different from being entranced by a story someone put in a video game.

So, basically, video games are evil because your parenting sucked and you don't know how to set limits on your game playing.

The only reason life improved was because YOU no longer had to worry about budgeting your time.

I could say the same thing about the books that you as well as I cherish, following your logic.

Hasn't Fark already disproven the whole "lost productivity due to non-work activities" bit? Besides, you wouldn't complain if people were saying that they wasted a couple hours a day reading the Bible and that it caused them to lose productivity at work. As for the next level thing, that's just getting positive feedback, just like what you get by reading to the next chapter in a book. I'm not even going to touch the cocaine analogy, it's just too ridiculous.

Let's find some other possible reasons for kids being indoors: Doing homework that they desperately need to finish thanks to over enthusiastic teachers and after-school activities, enjoying a good book, having intelligent conversations with friends, studying for standardized tests, I think my point is made. Also, have you ever noticed how much money McDonald's is making? I'm sure that doesn't have anything to do with it. Plus, recess has no place in today's schools, it takes time away from studying. Why on earth should we waste valuable standardized test prep time with something frivolous like having fun?

Yes, because reading a book takes so much energy. Plus, have you ever seen how absolute those descriptions are? Little room for interpretation. I also don't see you saying movies are evil, despite how these arguments apply to that medium, too.

Remember the movies thing? Yeah. Plus, there's such a thing as violence and sex in literature, although I know the idea seems crazy.

I'd have to agree with you here on sole virtue of the fact that there are much better, more beneficial things that you can give to people. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to catch a fish, feed him for a lifetime."


Well, that's that. I think I've sufficiently shown these arguments to be bunk.

No comments: