Sunday, December 23, 2007

5 Reasons the TV in My Room Sucks

I have a television in my room. My Wii is currently hooked up to it, and I'd like to take this time to talk about how terrible a television it is.
1. It's way too small
This thing is as large as my computer monitor, which isn't exactly what you'd call big. Normal sized, I'd say. This isn't necessarily a big deal, but it is a strike against the TV, especially when compounded with
2. It's several feet away on a shelf
Computer monitors are designed with the fact that you're going to be rather close to it in mind, and are sized accordingly. You're beginning to see the problem here, yes? Yeah, bit of a big one. But there's another thing, too. It's ON A SHELF. This means that I have to tilt my neck up (Not a whole lot, but enough) to look at it. This can lead to painful extended play sessions.
3. Mono sound output
Normally, this kind of thing doesn't bug me. It does bug me here, though, because it also only has mono input. This leaves me with a red cable just sitting there unused. Kind of annoying.
4. There's no remote
This is kind of annoying. It's not like a big deal or anything, it's just that it's a pain in the butt to have to turn on the TV when I want to use it. It sounds like whining, but think to yourself how often you have to get up and physically operate the television. I thought so.
5. I can't think of another one
I have no more complaints about it, but 5 is a nice, round list-like number.

I actually had the Wii hooked up to our TV in the living room, which is a decent size, actually has all three connectors, built in DVD player, not bad at all, really. I'm actually glad that the Wii's back here, though. Now that it's in my room, I can actually use it. I was barely able to play it last week because my little brother refused to give up the TV ("It's been your turn for the last three hours!"), and I haven't been able to play it this weekend because my dad is monopolizing the television (Some nonsense about a Wii-free Sunday).
Quite frankly, the whole thing isn't fair to me. It was only downstairs to begin with so that my little brother and his friend could play it without having to be in my room. I kept it down there, partly because I enjoyed playing games on an adequate TV (you have no idea how rare this is for me), but mostly because my little brother threw a fit whenever I tried to take it up. I have to deal with that now, though, because my dad insisted that if I was going to play it I'd have to take it upstairs.
In short, I'm beginning to feel like I'm just changing how and when I do things to keep my family happy. I don't believe in changing myself to suit other people, but it's hard not to when dealing with family. You really can't justify that, because with family not fitting into the mold that's easiest for them isn't refusing to let other people control you, it's being a jerk.

No comments: